I'll share with you my Arma 3 GlovePIE script plus a short tutorial on how to download GlovePIE files, use GlovePIE and load fast the script in GlovePIE GUI. The GlovePIE script is intended for use with Arma 3 game, Singleplayer mode only. I hope this helps.
If you've watched the video and follow the steps below, you won't get lost. Pardon for grammatical and pronunciation errors in the video. English is not my mother tongue.
1) Download the required GlovePIE files
I have merged my GlovePIE script and the launcher with the core GlovePIE files into one ZIP archive for easy access. You can get it from this link. The ZIP archive is about 2.48MB in size, with an MD5 hash of 2ef733f8000f4acd4f1415b129aa42c4
Important Note: Kindly update the PIE script to the latest November 28 version
Its clean! But if you don't trust me and are really concerned about virus/malware included on the ZIP archive, then you can view result of virustotal online scanner using this link or use option 2 below.
Those of you who prefer to download the files from official GlovePIE.org server may do so by using this link. Be reminded though that the ZIP archive from this link does not contain my script and launcher. You will download another file* for that.
* Updated November 28, 2013
- File name: Arma3 GlovePIE Basic Script plus Launcher.zip
- Zip file MD5: 42A2ED0BAC0C0A634FC745D829C14192
- Fixed script issues with SPOTREP #00015.
- Kindly update your script accordingly by extracting the contents of the ZIP archive to where the GlovePIE files are like what is shown in this link.
2) Create a shortcut to 'Run GlovePIE Basic.bat' then send it to your desktop for easy access.
3) Double click the desktop shortcut to run GlovePIE with my script loaded automatically. This portion of the video explains it.
4) Press 'Run' button of GlovePIE GUI, load Arma 3 game, press Left Windows button of your keyboard then start talking / say the voice commands! Press Left Windows key once again to disable voice recognition. This portion of the video shows how this particular instruction is carried out.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 above whenever you want to use my GlovePIE script with Arma 3 game. Those are the only steps you gonna do. Very easy. No need to load the script in GlovePIE GUI using the conventional way (File > Open > Look for PIE script) like what is shown in this video.
- Feel free to modify the script to suit your needs. You may alter the confidence level / amount of confidence required, the wait/ sleep time in between keypress or change the command phrases to your heart's desire. Refer to this image to know which part of the script you'll have to edit. Check also this presentation regarding 'Pauses in GlovePIE script'
- Go through the documentation to learn more about GlovePIE commands. You can do advanced tasks with GlovePIE! Powerful, fully customizable, free software!
1. Be sure to run PIEFree.exe as administrator so you won't have problems with key emulation. Should you encounter an error message relating to missing d3dx9_33.dll on older system (XP), try using version 0.43 of GlovePIE. Visit this link for that. Another possible solution is to consider installing the most-recent version of Microsoft DirectX 9. Visit this link for the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer.
2. The commands on the script are English words, intended for a machine with US English language pack. Machines without English language pack may have trouble recognizing the commands. You may have to install the required official Microsoft Windows language pack and change the display language of your machine accordingly using 3rd party programs like Vistalizator.
3. As with all other programs which use Windows speech files, to achieve more accurate speech recognition, you have to train your machine to better understand you. You can do so by going to Windows Control Panel > Speech Recognition Options then click the 'Train your computer to better understand you' link
4. The type of microphone you use also plays an important role in speech recognition. I use a cheapo A4Tech HS-50 headset and the included mic serves me just fine.
5. Adjust your Microphone Settings if necessary. I use the following settings and get favorable result.
So, why consider GlovePIE?
Aside from the fact that you can use GlovePIE for free and fully customize your PIE script to your own liking, voice commands in ArmA 3 using GlovePIE and voice_com addon can accomplish a lot of things. Things you can do with this setup can be summarized into two categories:
(1) BASIC commands for player (yourself), your squad (AIs, NPCs), and the game itself.
- Commands like change view, kneel, stand up, go prone, open watch, open map, assign team, mount vehicle, disembark, engage target, open fire, hold fire, watch direction, copy stance, etcetera.
- Of course, those basic commands above can also be programmed in other 3rd-party voice recognition softwares like PiLfluS, Shoot, VAC/VACBuilder or Windows Speech Recognition Macros. A walk in the park task.
- What happens here is that GlovePIE translates your voice command/s to the corresponding key bindings. For instance, when you say "squad", GlovePIE would press for you the "~" key (tilde key) which by default would select all members of your squad.
- Another example is when you say "two" "three" "return to formation", GlovePIE would press in consecutive order the following keys: F2 F3 1 1. Those examples are dependent on the default game key bindings. GlovePIE clicks them for you when you issue a command. The voice commands can be programmed to your own liking. So, instead of saying "squad", you could use "all" or "guys listen up" or whatever phrase you desire and the end result would still press key "~".
Check this link for the write-up and video about how basic GlovePIE voice commands in Arma 3 work.
For a list of Arma 3 key assignments, check out this link. Thanks to alpha-kilo
Here's a video from Royal Gamers UK demonstrating squad commands in Arma 3 using GlovePIE script from Suchy_. This particular script is different from my script in several aspects. While my script uses button toggle for voice recognition, this one uses voice toggle 'Enable voice commands' / 'disable voice commands'. Also, while my script uses if said "Team red" then command, this one uses key.9,key.9,key.1=said("Team red") command combinations. Suchy_'s script was originally used for Arma 2.
(2) ADVANCED commands for player (yourself), your squad (AIs, NPCs), and for the game!
- Adding or removing your own/your squad member's rifle attachments such as optics, flashlight and suppressors, adding or removing clothes/ uniforms, commands for player or squad invincibility, adding (spawning) any weapon, ammo, vehicle, item in ArmA 3 or from ArmA 2 (thru AiA), time and weather manipulation, calling artillery strikes, moving to specific map location, etc. All these cool capabilities make GlovePIE worthy of the adjective powerful.
- Now, this is something unique since there is no in-game menu or dialog interaction involved, no keyboard shortcuts or key bindings pressed. Just use your voice. To each his own. This setup is not dependent on injectors, cheat menu or hack menu found elsewhere on the internet.
If you need a Glock, then just say "add Glock"
Want a AMV-7 Marshall? Just say "add Marshall"
Need a ARCO optics for your rifle? Just say "add A R C O"
To add 2 hours to current time, just say "add two hours"
To call artillery strike at designated map location, just say "artillery"
To order your squad to fire at specific target, just point and say "target that"
... and so on and so forth.
Very easy to use. I haven't seen a video on YouTube using similar approach. I could be wrong though. Below are some videos showing GlovePIE Advanced Voice Commands script and how well they blend with Arma 3 contents.
Official Arma 3 Survive Campaign with GlovePIE Advanced Voice Commands script
- Arma 3 'Situation Normal' with GlovePIE Voice Commands
- Arma 3 'Radio Silence' with GlovePIE Voice Commands
- Arma 3 'Tipping point' with GlovePIE Voice Commands
- Arma 3 Infantry Showcase with GlovePIE Voice Commands
- Arma 3 Armed Assault Showcase with GlovePIE Voice Commands
Arma 3 does not have native support for voice recognition. I wish Bohemia Interactive devs integrated some sort of voice recognition feature in Arma 3 for us who love to say what we want in game. Of course, not all commands of the not-so-basic stuff like weapon and vehicle spawning, calling for artillery or nuke strike, weather and time manipulation can be added to the proposed feature but I think adding voice recognition support for basic AI/squad commands is plausible. I believe that it adds realistic immersion to the already awesome game that is Arma 3. One could just say 'Soldier two, get in that chopper as gunner' instead of pressing the equivalent key bindings.
Wishful thinking? Who knows, the devs might give it a go. Register then vote up!
GlovePIE 0.45 Free
Thanks for dropping by. Voice commands and Arma 3 rocks!