This update to GlovePIE Basic Script for Arma 3 addresses issues of Oct 21 script with version 1.06.112613 of Arma 3 main branch. If you are still using my Oct 21 script, I suggest that you update your script to this most recent November 28, 2013 version. I hope this helps.
In the video I have explained a bit about the issue with the Oct 21 script and Arma 3 v1.06 game (main branch). I have to discuss first how the old version behaves in order to understand issues encountered. In particular, certain key combinations are not being pressed resulting to the script not functioning well. Let's take Team Red and Team White as examples. The default key bindings /shortcut for Team Red is Shift F1 and Shift F5 for Team White. With the old script, it seems that Shift key is omitted. That would cause more problems with other commands which require you to call on your teams. Thus, saying 'team red' for example, pops this menu instead of selecting team red members. Furthermore, issuing the command 'team white stay crouched', results to soldier 5 staying crouched instead of the entire members of team white staying crouched. To address the issues, I made necessary adjustments to the script so that it would run smoothly once again.
What to do next?
- Kindly download the updated script (including launcher) using this link or from this Armaholic link *
- Once downloaded, extract the contents of the ZIP archive then transfer them to where the GlovePIE files are overwriting the old 'A3 GlovePIE Basic.PIE' and 'Run GlovePIE Basic.bat' files. This portion of the video explains this step.
- To use in game, load and run the script using the launcher like what is shown in this portion of the video. Toggle voice recognition ON or OFF by pressing the Left Windows button of your keyboard. You can create a shortcut to the launcher on your desktop for easy access next time you want to use my script in Arma 3.
- For the list of commands included in the GlovePIE Basic Voice Commands Script version November 28, 2013, kindly refer to this link. These are the words/ phrases you say in game.
* Big thanks to Foxhound of the great www.armaholic.com for hosting the file and including GlovePIE Basic Script for Arma 3 article in their database!
So, why consider GlovePIE?
Aside from the fact that you can use GlovePIE for free and fully customize your PIE script to your own liking, voice commands / voice recognition / voice control in ArmA 3 using GlovePIE and voice_com addon can accomplish a lot of wonderful things. Things you can do with this setup can be summarized into two categories:
(1) BASIC commands for player (yourself) or squad (AIs, NPCs)
- Commands like change view, kneel, stand up, go prone, open watch, open map, assign team, mount vehicle, disembark, engage target, open fire, hold fire, watch direction, copy stance, etcetera.
- Of course, those basic commands above can also be programmed in other 3rd-party voice recognition softwares like PiLfluS, Shoot, VAC or Windows Speech Recognition Macros. A walk in the park task.
- What happens here is that GlovePIE translates your voice command/s to the corresponding key bindings. For instance, when you say "squad", GlovePIE would press for you the "~" key (tilde key) which by default would select all members of your squad.
- Another example is when you say "two" "three" "return to formation", GlovePIE would press in consecutive order the following keys: F2 F3 1 1. Those examples are dependent on the default game key bindings. GlovePIE clicks them for you when you issue a command. The voice commands can be programmed to your own liking. So, instead of saying "squad", you could use "all" or "guys listen up" or whatever phrase you desire and the end result would still press key "~".
Check this link for the write-up and video about how basic GlovePIE voice commands in Arma 3 work.
For a list of Arma 3 key assignments, check out this link. Thanks to alpha-kilo
Here's a video from Royal Gamers UK demonstrating squad commands in Arma 3 using GlovePIE script from Suchy_. This particular script is different from my script in several aspects. While my script uses button toggle for voice recognition, this one uses voice toggle 'Enable voice commands' / 'disable voice commands'. Also, while my script uses if said "Team red" then command, this one uses key.9,key.9,key.1=said("Team red") command combinations. Suchy_'s script was originally used for Arma 2.
(2) ADVANCED commands for player (yourself) or squad (AIs, NPCs)
- Adding or removing your own/your squad member's rifle attachments such as optics, flashlight and suppressors, adding or removing clothes/ uniforms, commands for player or squad invincibility, adding (spawning) any weapon, ammo, vehicle, item in ArmA 3 or from ArmA 2 (thru AiA), time and weather manipulation, calling artillery strikes, moving to specific map location, etc.
- Now, this is something unique since there is no in-game menu or dialog interaction involved, no keyboard shortcuts pressed. Just use your voice. To each his own. This setup is not dependent on injectors, cheat menu or hack menu found elsewhere on the internet.
If you need a Glock, then just say "add Glock"
Want a AMV-7 Marshall? Just say "add Marshall"
Need a ARCO optics for your rifle? Just say "add A R C O"
To add 2 hours to current time, just say "add two hours"
To call artillery strike at designated map location, just say "artillery"
To order your squad to fire at specific target, just point and say "target that"
... and so on and so forth. Very easy to use. I haven't seen a video on YouTube using similar approach. I could be wrong though.
Videos or it never happened!
Below are some videos showing GlovePIE Advanced Voice Commands script in action and how well they blend with Arma 3 contents.
Official Arma 3 Survive Campaign with GlovePIE Advanced Voice Commands script
- Arma 3 'Situation Normal' with GlovePIE Voice Commands
- Arma 3 'Radio Silence' with GlovePIE Voice Commands
- Arma 3 'Tipping point' with GlovePIE Voice Commands
- Arma 3 Infantry Showcase with GlovePIE Voice Commands
- Arma 3 Armed Assault Showcase with GlovePIE Voice Commands
Arma 3 does not have native support for voice recognition. Wish Bohemia Interactive devs integrated some sort of voice recognition feature in Arma 3 for us who love to say what we want in game.
Of course, not all commands of the advanced category like weapon and vehicle spawning, calling for artillery or nuke strike, weather and time manipulation can be added to the proposed feature but I think adding voice recognition support for basic AI/squad commands is plausible. I believe that it adds realistic immersion to the already awesome game that is Arma 3. One could just say 'Soldier two, get in that chopper as gunner ' instead of pressing the equivalent key bindings.
Wishful thinking? Who knows, the devs might give it a go. Vote up!
Very important notice
Files featured here are for personal use only. Video shared on YouTube just so you know something like this exists. Thanks for dropping by. Voice commands and Arma 3 rocks!
GlovePIE 0.45 Free
How To Use GlovePIE Voice Commands in Arma 3