Trying out some advanced GlovePIE voice commands on the Arma 3's 'Survive' campaign, in particular 'Tipping point' mission. The video demonstrates how well GlovePIE voice commands blend with any mission, campaign, scenario or showcase for Arma 3.
There are different approach to a mission. Using custom voice commands in accomplishing a mission adds zest to the experience (at least on my part). With GlovePIE voice commands, I just say what I want. Makes me in control of the game and somehow change the course of a mission.
Voice commands in Arma 3 is not limited to commanding AI squad members. With a bit of creativity, you can do a lot of advanced stuff aside from the basic commands.
To name a few:
- Manipulate weather and time. I prefer to play at daytime so this feature is very useful for me.
- Request for artillery support at a target map location. Clean sweep a target location of enemies, prevent friendly casualties.
- Spawn vehicles anywhere you want, anytime you're in need of one.
- Spawn any weapon you want then add attachments to your weapon. Its like having custom loadouts, no need for virtual ammo box.
'Tipping point' mission as it is
Here is a gameplay of Tipping point mission of 'Survive' campaign uploaded by august_nox. No voice commands used here. Actual mission start at 2:06 section of the video.
So, why use GlovePIE?
Voice commands / voice recogniton / voice control in ArmA 3 using GlovePIE and voice_com addon can accomplish a lot of things. Things you can do with this setup can be summarized into two categories:
(1) BASIC commands for player (yourself) or squad (AIs, NPCs)
- Commands like change view, kneel, stand up, go prone, open watch, open map, assign team, mount vehicle, disembark, engage target, open fire, hold fire, watch direction, copy stance, etcetera.
- Of course, those basic commands above can also be programmed in other 3rd-party voice recognition softwares like PiLfluS, Shoot, VAC or Windows Speech Recognition Macros. A walk in the park task.
- What happens here is that GlovePIE translates your voice command/s to the corresponding key bindings. For instance, when you say "squad", GlovePIE would press for you the "~" key (tilde key) which by default would select all members of your squad.
- Another example is when you say "two" "three" "return to formation", GlovePIE would press in consecutive order the following keys: F2 F3 1 1. Those examples are dependent on the default game key bindings. GlovePIE clicks them for you when you issue a command. The voice commands can be programmed to your own liking. So, instead of saying "squad", you could use "all" or "guys listen up" or whatever phrase you desire and the end result would still press key "~".
Check this link for the write-up and video about how basic GlovePIE voice commands in Arma 3 work.
For a list of Arma 3 key assignments, check out this link. Thanks to alpha-kilo.
Here's a video from Royal Gamers UK demonstrating squad commands in Arma 3 using GlovePIE:
(2) ADVANCED commands for player (yourself) or squad (AIs, NPCs)
- Adding or removing your own/your squad member's rifle attachments such as optics, flashlight and suppressors, adding or removing clothes/ uniforms, commands for player or squad invincibility, adding (spawning) any weapon, ammo, vehicle, item in ArmA 3 or from ArmA 2 (thru AiA), time and weather manipulation, calling artillery strikes, moving to specific map location, etc.
- Now, this is something unique since there is no in-game menu or dialog interaction involved, no keyboard shortcuts pressed. Just use your voice. To each his own. This setup is not dependent on injectors, cheat menu or hack menu found elsewhere on the internet.
If you need a Glock, then just say "add Glock"
Want a AMV-7 Marshall? Just say "add Marshall"
Need a ARCO optics for your rifle? Just say "add A R C O"
To add 2 hours to current time, just say "add two hours"
To call artillery strike at designated map location, just say "artillery"
To order your squad to fire at specific target, just point and say "target that"
... and so on and so forth.
Very easy to use. I haven't seen a video on YouTube using similar approach. I could be wrong though.
Wish Bohemia Interactive devs integrated some sort of voice recognition feature in Arma 3 for us who love to say what we want in game. Of course, not all commands of the not-so-basic stuff like weapon and vehicle spawning, calling for artillery or nuke strike, weather and time manipulation can be added to the proposed feature but I think adding voice recognition support for basic AI/squad commands is plausible. I believe that it adds realistic immersion to the already awesome game that is Arma 3. One could just say 'Two, gunner get in that chopper' instead of pressing the equivalent key bindings.
Wishful thinking? Who knows, the devs might give it a go. Vote up!
Files featured here are for personal use only. Video shared on YouTube just so you know something like this exists. Videos or it never happened!
Thanks for dropping by. Voice commands and Arma 3 rocks!
GlovePIE 0.45 Free
How To Use GlovePIE Voice Commands in Arma 3