One way to do it is using the command menu. With this, you select the unit first using F keys (F2 to F10), point to the vehicle you wish the selected unit mounted, then press the Spacebar.
With this method, selected unit will mount the vehicle as driver only. There are no other option in the command menu to have the unit get in as gunner or commander. This portion of the video explains what I mean.
Another way to have an AI squad member get in a vehicle is by using the Mount command. To do this, you have to select the soldier using the F keys (F2 to F10), press number 4 of your keyboard then a menu would pop up on the upper left portion of the screen. Take note of the number before the name of the vehicle. That would serve as your quick access key. So, for example to have soldier 3 mount the MSE-3 Marid, press F3 4 7
After you press the quick access key, another menu will appear on the left upper portion of the screen. This menu provides option to choose mount position on the vehicle like anywhere, driver, commander, gunner, or ride in back (passenger) in case of land vehicles. To have selected unit (soldier 3) mount as gunner, you have to press 4.
So for this particular task, the keys you would press would be F3 4 7 4
Take note though that the quick access key for the Marid is not always 7. When you have several Marids in the vicinity, the game automatically assigns the quick access key to each vehicle, so, its different every time. Number assignment depends on which vehicles are present and how many vehicles are present in your game session.
Even more challenging is if you have multiple presence of same vehicle class on the battlefield, like the 11 Marids below. How can you quickly get soldier 3 for example, mount as gunner the Marid you are currently pointing at? Which quick access key / number on the menu will you use? What if you don't have a map or a compass?
GlovePIE to the rescue!
Given the above situation, with GlovePIE, you just point to the vehicle then say "Soldier three get in as gunner". Very easy! No need to go through the clunky menus. Convenient to use. Saves a lot of time. This portion of the video demonstrates what I mean.
Thus, the steps involved with GlovePIE are: determine the soldier you wish to mount as gunner, point to the vehicle then say "Soldier X get in as gunner". X being the soldier number.
So, why consider GlovePIE?
Voice commands / voice recogniton / voice control in ArmA 3 using GlovePIE and voice_com addon can accomplish a lot of things. Things you can do with this setup can be summarized into two categories:
(1) BASIC commands for player (yourself) or squad (AIs, NPCs)
- Commands like change view, kneel, stand up, go prone, open watch, open map, assign team, mount vehicle, disembark, engage target, open fire, hold fire, watch direction, copy stance, etcetera.
- Of course, those basic commands above can also be programmed in other 3rd-party voice recognition softwares like PiLfluS, Shoot, VAC or Windows Speech Recognition Macros. A walk in the park task.
- What happens here is that GlovePIE translates your voice command/s to the corresponding key bindings. For instance, when you say "squad", GlovePIE would press for you the "~" key (tilde key) which by default would select all members of your squad.
- Another example is when you say "two" "three" "return to formation", GlovePIE would press in consecutive order the following keys: F2 F3 1 1. Those examples are dependent on the default game key bindings. GlovePIE clicks them for you when you issue a command. The voice commands can be programmed to your own liking. So, instead of saying "squad", you could use "all" or "guys listen up" or whatever phrase you desire and the end result would still press key "~".
Check this link for the write-up and video about how basic GlovePIE voice commands in Arma 3 work.
For a list of Arma 3 key assignments, check out this link. Thanks to alpha-kilo.
Here's a video from Royal Gamers UK demonstrating squad commands in Arma 3 using GlovePIE:
(2) ADVANCED commands for player (yourself) or squad (AIs, NPCs)
- Adding or removing your own/your squad member's rifle attachments such as optics, flashlight and suppressors, adding or removing clothes/ uniforms, commands for player or squad invincibility, adding (spawning) any weapon, ammo, vehicle, item in ArmA 3 or from ArmA 2 (thru AiA), time and weather manipulation, calling artillery strikes, moving to specific map location, etc.
- Now, this is something unique since there is no in-game menu or dialog interaction involved, no keyboard shortcuts pressed. Just use your voice. To each his own. This setup is not dependent on injectors, cheat menu or hack menu found elsewhere on the internet.
If you need a Glock, then just say "add Glock"
Want a AMV-7 Marshall? Just say "add Marshall"
Need a ARCO optics for your rifle? Just say "add A R C O"
To add 2 hours to current time, just say "add two hours"
To call artillery strike at designated map location, just say "artillery"
To order your squad to fire at specific target, just point and say "target that"
... and so on and so forth.
Very easy to use. I haven't seen a video on YouTube using similar approach. I could be wrong though.
Wish Bohemia Interactive devs integrated some sort of voice recognition feature in Arma 3 for us who love to say what we want in game. Of course, not all commands of the not-so-basic stuff like weapon and vehicle spawning, calling for artillery or nuke strike, weather and time manipulation can be added to the proposed feature but I think adding voice recognition support for basic AI/squad commands is plausible. I believe that it adds realistic immersion to the already awesome game that is Arma 3. One could just say 'Two, gunner get in that chopper' instead of pressing the equivalent key bindings.
Wishful thinking? Who knows, the devs might give it a go. Vote up!
Files featured here are for personal use only. Video shared on YouTube just so you know something like this exists. Videos or it never happened!
Thanks for dropping by. Voice commands and Arma 3 rocks!
GlovePIE 0.45 Free
How To Use GlovePIE Voice Commands in Arma 3